3) Singer and Nicolson's fluid mosaic Model of the membrane proposed that membranes_____.
C) Consist of protein molecules embedded in a fluid bilayer of phospholipids
For the following questions, match the Labeled component of the cell membrane in the figure with its description.
6) Which component is a peripheral Protein?
7) Which component is cholesterol?
8) Which component is a protein fiber Of the extracellular matrix?
9) Which component is a microfilament (actin filament) of the cytoskeleton?
10) Which component is a glycolipid?
11) Which of the following most Accurately describes selective permeability?
D) Only certain molecules can cross a cell membrane.
12) Which of the following would likely Move through the lipid bilayer of a plasma membrane most rapidly?
13) Which of the following allows water To move much faster across cell membranes?
14) Diffusion _____.
C) Is a passive process in which molecules move from a region of higher concentration to a region of lower concentration
15) Which of the following is true of Osmosis?
C) In osmosis, water moves across a membrane from areas of lower solute Concentration to areas of higher solute concentration.
17) The sodium-potassium pump is called An electrogenic pump because it _____.
B) Contributes to the membrane potential
22) The force driving simple diffusion Is _____, while the energy source for active transport is _____.
B) The concentration gradient; ATP
23) White blood cells engulf bacteria Using _____.
25) The difference between pinocytosis And receptor-mediated endocytosis is that _____.
C) Pinocytosis is nonselective in the molecules it brings into the cell, whereas Receptor-mediated endocytosis offers More selectivity.